Compiling and using Minix 2.0.3 network support
rev 25 Nov 2002
Minix 2.0.3 networking is a little different from earlier releases.
Q: I've been following Al's instructions on Networking Minix here:
- I edited /usr/include/minix/config.h. Set ENABLE_NETWORKING to 1.
- Increased NR_PTYS and NR_PROCS.
- ran make in /usr/src/tools.
- copied the image file to the root directory as filename 'minix.net'.
- set 'image=minix.net' at the boot prompt. (and saved)
- set DPETH0=on at the boot prompt.
I must have forgotten something because I get the following when
ifconfig: Unable to open '/dev/ip': No such device
* ls -al /dev | grep ip
crw------- 2 root operator 7, 2 Feb 20 2000 ip
crw------- 2 root operator 7, 2 Feb 20 2000 ip0
all the devices that should be there do exist. /dev/tcp, /dev/udp,
/dev/ttyp0 etc etc.
What have I neglected to do?
A: Read man boot. In 2.0.3 the boot parameters can include a servers=
parameter to start special services.
From man boot:
servers=program[,program...] Names the special servers that must
be started in /usr/etc/rc.
The setting servers=inet will start the TCP/IP server.